Friday, January 22, 2010

Lessons Learned

"it's actually possible to get to know 300 people" is a part of the answer I used to give to the why Darden question. The same answer I got a year before. Today in class we've had a Darden grad from the 80's. After hearing how he made millions and analyzing some of his business decisions we've had the chance to get some advice from him. As it turns out, he got all of his jobs from his fellow classmates. He then told us to take a look around because these are the people who will be our network for life. These are the ones we'll reach out for advice, support and business opportunities.
It's easy to forget this sometimes and stay in that close circle of friends padding your comfort zone. I hope that I will not look back one day and feel I could have done better on this front.

I almost forgot, there was another alumnus from '95 that had mentioned that nothing matters in the long run, but LO* and Marketing. I've heard this so much that I'm actually starting to beleive it. Good thing I am taking every marketing class at Darden.


* LO - Leading Organizations formerly known as Organizational Behavior (OB)

2 comments:

Dorothy said...

I would like to think that network is network and friends are friends. I came to the realization long time ago in college that one cannot maintain 300 close friends for life, so as I enter bschool, I want to make sure I cultivate a few life-long friendships throughout the two years. But I agree it's good to be social and meet people. Just don't think building close friendship and building your network necessarily have to contradict each other.

Fernando said...

What does LO stand for?

Thanks

Feedback Form